Friday, January 21, 2011

So Mercedes Corporation Calls Me

So I write a "Dear John" to Mercedes explaining why I've been a customer (high-end, too, like 560 SEC, 500ML, etc) but can be one no longer because I'm paying top dollar for engineering garbage. I almost refer to Chryslers but edit that out.

And they call me. They are concerned that I've gotten an anomalous vehicle and want to inspect it. They refer me to . .  . my local dealership and the guy I've known there for, oh, 15 years. I call him, we schedule a time to inspect the car.

The day comes and he proceeds to very cursorily look over the weeping rust signs of the ML. Then he marches me all over the lot pointing out rust on OTHER high-end vehicles (including an AMG S600), saying ALL Mercedes have this problem. How long did I think I wanted to keep the car, etc.

He also tells me Mercedes is aware they have problems "but only in New England" and everyone thinks it's the new environmentally friendly "water-based paints we use now." I'm offered $200 "a panel" -- no explanation of what that is, and no conversation as he's clearly upset to even be on this topic -- and I have to get it inspected. He really wants me to use "this friend of mine" in a town that's about 50 miles from my house.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment